I know it's been ages since I've updated, but I promise I haven't keeled over.
Some things I've been up to:
1. I have not one, but TWO sets of contractors working on my house. One set is replacing the front porch, putting insulation and vinyl siding on three sides, and replacing two windows. The other is remodeling the bathroom, replacing the kitchen cupboards, fixing up the shed, making new storm doors for the cellar, building a lean-to for the lawn mower, and replacing the drywall in the storage room (doubling the size of my usable living space! Squeee!). It's a TON of work. And my house is over 100 years old so there are no right-corners and everything takes twice as long to do.
Fortunately, they come cheap so we're getting as much out of limited budget as we can. We're trading firewood to the siding guys and the second guy is more of a handyman than a company and his rates are super low. This means that when I get my work done around 6-7am like I normally do and want to go to bed, they show up and pound and saw and hammer and I have headaches and sleep in longer than normal. Getting them so cheap means that I have to go get supplies myself, and I'm the only one insured to drive my truck (cheaper insurance rates!) so I have to get up and do that whenever they holler.
|This is the "new" room! All that space will be mine to play with!|
2) Getting work done on your house means that you are required to spend at least an hour a day scanning pinterest and houzz and other decor sites to find nifty things and ideas. I've narrowed my paint choices down to a grey for one of the rooms and a dark navy and white theme for the second. There's a HUGE window being installed and lots of bookshelves and a window seat being planned. Its all so exciting and I just want to stare at the plans and daydream and pick which books are my fav so I can do this to the stairs:
3) My brother brought the plague home from some buddy of his at Walmart where he works stock and gave it to me. I was out cold for like a week, exactly the week when promo edits came in (like several sets of 50 pages from the Brenda Novak Diabetes Auction, etc) and I had two big edits from clients. Of course my paid edits came first and I was barely keeping up with those. I gave them all extra attention to make sure my Nyquil-addled brain wasn't missing something, which meant extra time spent on those when I was already behind. Then I had the promo edits. Then the edits from my writing group, The Constellation Society. Then my writing. Guess which ones I had to put on the back burner? My writing and, by extension, my writing group. If I have nothing to give them, I can't fully participate, right? It's been a horrible month now of seeing them all excited about reading chapters for one another and me all sad that I'm missing out. I hope to get back to my own writing soon and start participating again.
4) This summer has been wild with new editing clients. The last few years has seen the winter months being the heaviest for work load and the summer months are lighter (when vacations are taken and things supposedly slow down) but this year has been topsy turvy. The first few months were sorta bare and now I'm having to turn even projects I really want to work on to other editing buddies because I just can't do everything. I'm totally not complaining about this, I think it's wonderful! (and please, do continue to inquire if you're interested in my freelance editing services!)
Now that I'm all better from the plague (other than a lingering cough) I'm caught up on edits but I'm still finding it difficult to work with the time demands of the contractors. You'd think hiring a few people to get stuff done for you would give you more free time, but alas. I've considered hiring an employee to do copyediting for me so I can take on more clients but I haven't found the right fit yet. One of these days... :)
5) It's the friggen summertime! That means taking Mollie out for walkies and gardening and just being outside. It's important to get outside. It's also important to eat firecracker popsicles and post the corny jokes to Twitter. That takes time, don'cha know.
|A bit of an old photo, I should take new ones. But it's full of weeds now so... :P|